Curtis,

Got it.  Very good job explaining your procedure (step by step).
Did you have to grind any of the inserts down - so they would slide into the slot in the extrusion without rubbing?

Thanks.

From: 'Curt George' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
Sent: Jan 26, 2020 10:59 PM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Thank you Tim & today's project.

Hello Mac.
I can take some more pictures if you like.(but I don't have any more pictures of this set up at this min.)

the idea was to mount onto the Legacy's extruded alum, rail. in this case its the large opening that I needed to mount to.
I found some 1/2" washers that were to large to slide into the rail, but would fit the slot of the extruded (the thickness of the slot in the alum.) I marked the edges of the slot, onto the washers. I put an all thread rod through the washers and using nuts, I wedged the washers together. then I mounted the washers in a vice, Then I cut the flats on the washers.(using a angle grinder) Once the washers were cut I made sure they would fit into the alum. rail.
Next came the nut inserts, I used 3/8" nut inserts, the hole of the washer were just over 1/2" (they are made to slide over a 1/2" rod.  the nut insert body is .508 so it fit nicely into the washer.
My trick machine was just a long 3/8" bolt in my vice. I put a nut on the bolt, and then the insert , then came the washer, (over the insert), and then another 3/8" nut on the bolt.
I used two adjustable wrenches and tightened down the nut, and backing the second nut to keep the insert in place. The insert squished/flaring the nut onto (or in) the washer, then I loosened the nuts and un-screwed the insert and washer as one piece.
The tool for 3/8" nut inserts is over $80.00. So for this time I decided to go home made. The Bolt worked well. there were some signs of ware on the bolt, so if I was going to do a lot of these I would use a new bolt every so often to make sure the threads don't pull out/off the bolt. After 8 the bolt was looking pretty worn.

I hope this helps?

C.A.G.