I totally understand all the curt accept the bit after Hello Dan lol

Bill

From: 'Curt George' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
<legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, 22 May 2022 8:58 AM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Trammel of Archimedes

Hello Dan.

a timing belt No. but perhaps a timing chain could work.

The easiest way to look at the Geometric chuck is to see a planetary modal. the
Sun is in the center. (1st gear) the speed control is like the Legacy
directional gear set. (spins either left or right.) The reduction gears are
like the Duplex gear on the Legacy to control the speed of rotation. The center
hub would be the headstock of the Legacy. It turns the part on the faceplate.
Now there is only one other thing you need to think about to make a Geometric
chuck. and that is the off-set of the faceplate/center, from the rotation. to
make the arcing movement.

The gears in the photo a friend of mine made, I did not do it. He used a gear
machine to make those, (basically its an indexing head on a milling machine,
but his machine was made to only make gears, so its a specialty machine.)

I plan to make my gears with a laser engraver, and to make my gears out of
plastic.

I plan to set my system a little different that what Frank did (he is he one
who made the modal I posted the photo's of in my first posting/reply.) I plan
to make the directional gears touch the planetary gear.

If I make the directional gear have three locks for the lever which controls
the rotation, One/right, Two/ left, and Three/ neutral, (for indexing of the
part. and keep the speed control gears on top for easy changeover.)

I also plan to use a 5/8" shaft for the center/ upper hub, to cut down space
and make it so I can use My Shop Smith faceplates with this jig.

Like I said I've done a lot of research on this topic. Its just a matter of
time. before I get it done.

I hope this helps you understand how the jig/ Geometric chuck works?

C.A.G.

On Saturday, May 21, 2022, 06:12:43 PM EDT, Dan Krager <cdkra...@gmail.com