Saturday February 11, 2023

To: Google Groups - Legacy Ornamental Mills

I’m new to Legacy Mills, and this is my first post.  I have been reading
many of the various posts and have gathered a lot of good, important and
useful information from them.  I thank all of you.

I’ve also watched the various Youtube.com videos and have learned a lot
from the oldest to the newest.

Over the last two months, I have purchased two Legacy mills, one model 1000
(used but in great condition with lots of gears and goodies) and one model
1800 (a brand new 2004 model, still in its boxes).

 I'm in the process of putting together the 1800.   The tip on the grooved
rails is a big help to make sure that I put the tool together correctly.

On the Legacy model 1000, my first upgrade is replacing the plastic
bushings in the headstock and tailstock with steel ball bearings
assemblies.

Even though I have some questions for Curt George, I encourage anyone to
voice their comments.

Curt:

Reference: YouTube.com video: *Spindle Drive Modification* (131) The
Spindle Drive Motor - YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXCC-EolhjQ>.

I’m impressed and understand your video description and demo of the spindle
drive.

 I would like to incorporate this upgrade into my Legacy model 1000.

 Questions:

On the DC drive motor, what brand, model, torque value and speed would you
recommend?

On the motor controller what brand and size would be best?

Would a reversible controller and motor have an advantage?

Also, would a 3-phase motor work using a SMV frequency inverter controller
to adjust speed, direction? The SMV frequency controller takes 125±AC input
and converts it to 220±v 3-phase.  This system allows for speed and
direction control.

Curt:

One a side note, I started collecting and using Shopsmith tools about 6
years ago.  I also noticed that you have Shopsmith tools in your shop.  I
took note that you had successfully adapted Shopsmith parts to your legacy
– great job!

 I agree with your encouraging viewers to explore their imaginations
without limits.

 VR,

Nathaniel Bacon

Email: natba...@hotmail.com / natbac...@gmail.com