Welcome to the group Nathaniel 👍

Jeff from Connecticut
Legacy Model 900 - Manual
Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 12, 2023, at 1:23 AM, 'Curt George' via Legacy Ornamental Mills <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hello Nathaniel

First off, Thank you. and Welcome to the group.

The Legacy is a very good machine but there is a slight learning curve that needs to be understood.
I recommend to "PLAY" with your machine a lot before trying to make anything for real.
and to use "FREE" wood/ fire wood/scraps/tree clippings... Dont waist good wood on play projects that most likely will not turn out. When I am testing I try to use the same wood over and over, turning it down and then re-working the wood until it can no long be used.

The questions on the motors.  The DC motor sold by Legacy is a 90v DC motor, I believe it is a Dayton? The motor is a gear motor
( I use a larger motor for my machine, I had to off-set the motor to use it, where Legacy used a coupler and put the motor in line with the acme screw.)  , Max speed is something like 25-40 rpm, (I could be wrong on the rpm? but it is slow.) The DC motor controller is 110ac/90 dc, variable speed, and has a directional gear switch. Two limit switches. IN my book it is a must have tool to make the Legacy work as it was meant to work.
The spindle motor dose not need to turn fast (90rpm max.)  ON My Legacy 1000ex I used a pulley and belt set-up. On my 200 I made a set of gears to mate up with the motor.
3 phase power is industrial standards, It is not needed to make the Legacy work, but Use what you have/can.
I have modified all my tools in the hope to get the most out of them.  I highly recommend to try to make all your tool, uniformed, That is make the set-up you use standardized, so you can switch form one machine to another with out having to use a different set-up each time. It saves time and really helps when things don't quite go as they should, (exp. sanding a part where there was some tare out...)  I have made a number of adaptors that all use Legacy's hub drive set-up.  (I think there drive hubs are the best thing since sliced bread! I use them on ALL my machines including my Shop Smith.)
Also (Last note)  when turning multiple parts. use the assembly line concept when possible. Do one thing on every part, and then move on. DO NOT make one piece at a time, over and over like a CNC or an industrial machine would do.  This assembly line concept will make sure every part is the same.

I am sorry for the delay of our postings today. I had to approve them before the group could see them.  You should not have any problems posting to the group after today.

I hope to talk to you more in the near future.
Have a good day.

C.A.G.