Perhaps try cutting not so deep also soaking the wood in oil for a few hours
before cutting can greatly reduce chipping and tearing I do that

For some wood threads

Bill

From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
<legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of cdkr...@gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2023 9:15 AM
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: checkering videos

Made tiny tiny chips today.  Really bad choice of wood.  Didn't think it would

crumble like it has. My other blanks are scrap oak pieces, and they might be

as bad.  I'm going to adjust to a verified common checkering pattern of 18 LPI

selected from the range of available checkering patterns and tools that run

from 16 -32 LPI. And reduce the number of starts to 72 which gets me in the

same ballpark of work diameter, which my target is about 1 1/4" give or take.

This intersection piece should clean up pretty well.  It's just real fuzzy.

The blue circled area is what I worked on for cleaning up.  It goes fast and

the ridges are crisp in that area.

Lessons:  1. A progress chart of hole positions is crucial to success.  2. And
I am

pushing the limits of the REVO rigidity because you can see every little

inconsistency produced by tiny flexing in Z axis. 3. Choose better wood. Machine

cutting is different than hand cutting from scratch.  But this, as tedious as
it is, is still

much faster to get accurate layout, me thinks.

I also restricted the data input for checkering lines per inch to what is
available for

touch up tools.  It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Time to think of Christmas trinkets.....

DanK