To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Obituaries

Obituary appears to be a default event in Legacy 6 but it would be treated as a *custom* event or fact by other genealogy software. Testing required to see what happens to a file transfer with a specific combination of Legacy GEDCOM export options and non-Legacy import options selected.

End of individual/general notes is the safest place for obituary text if you care about GEDCOM transfers to share with relatives using non-Legacy software. Some commonly used genealogy programs do not have event notes. The length of individual or general notes varies from one genealogy program (and version) to another.

Whatever field is selected for obits, make sure you like the results of data included and spacing of Legacy reports. Family books are easier to plan with one biography-style general note per individual rather than separate event notes.

Years ago I received a GEDCOM full of interesting obits that were cut to three lines, the "standard GED 5.5" length of a particular source field used by Legacy. PAF 5 was limited to a single line for the same information. Researchers often make changes for many weeks in a "new" genealogy program before noticing the amount of data lost in a file transfer. -- Elizabeth

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Failmezger"
I am curious where people write the obituaries in their files.

Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com/

For online technical support, please visit http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp