Lesli -

I'm in the process of doing the very same thing now. What I do is source the book and page and enter the info. I use the source for the event - for example, name, birth dtae, death date, etc. I do not create any seperate "Unspecified Event."

I then try to verify the info (as I go) via on-line data bases (eg census records). I then just add this census as an additional "source" for the name, birth, etc.

This works pre-1930 which is the era most of my book info is from. I have been able to verify AND add information in this manner. I do it this way to break up the tedium of entry and also while a specific family is fresh in my mind. Example: a Matthew was listed in the census as Matthew, Mat, Matt, Mather  (1900-1930)! It is much easier for me to keep a train of thought on a family as I go.

Just how I'm doing it.

John