To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Foster children

What they are referin to is the LUG list rules, not a
set of record keeping rules.
Rich

--- Dora Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm writing for my descendants, not NEHGS.    So I
do what makes sense to
me.

Where is this emphasis on some sort of rigid rules
from God knows where that
make no sense coming from?   "Violated rule number
two twice"?   Who's
counting, and who's goinna slap mah wrists!   If
people want to be rule
bound, why do they need to try to coerce other
people to participate in this
anxiety disorder?   What difference does it make if
Laura does her genealogy
the same way Bill Houdek does?

 But then, someone on one list explained to me that
some people doing family
genealogy projects follow some bizarre outmoded
rules that NEHGS and TAG and
another group apply to what they will publish in
their journals.   I don't
give two hoots what NEHGS and TAG allow in their
journals.   I publish my
findings on the web, and discuss problems on the
genealogy lists, and will
never submit anything to NEHGS and TAG, and it
sounds like they might not
publish it if I did.

But with that said, noone can tell Laura how to list
those foster children.
If the couple raised them and then they were listed
as contacts by the
funeral home, I would think they were family, but
maybe Laura has reasons
not to list them that way.    And I don't know for
what purpose Laura is
doing her genealogy.

Now, I'm off this discussion, before I get mad, and
think of how to point
out to Bill and others that there is not some all
powerful body we all swore
to obey or something to tell us all how to do live,
worship, or do
genealogy.     My 17th and 18th century ancestors
came to this country
specifically to do all that their own way in peace -
ARGGH!

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX