To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] HTML

I accidentally sent a post to this list in HTML just recently too. Now I've worked out what happened, I'll share the details in case it helps someone else...

I switched to using Mozilla Thunderbird for my emails a month or so back. One of the first settings I set up was to make all emails to Rootsweb and Legacy in plain text. So far, so good - that worked a charm.

BUT, along the way, I got tired of the program asking me frequently if I wanted to send in plain text or HTML for addresses where I hadn't set their preference, so I went in and found the particular setting governing this behaviour - under Tools / Options / Composition / General, then click on the "Send Options" button, and in the first setting choose the behaviour for "When sending messages in HTML format and one or more recipients are not listed as being able to receive HTML" I chose "send the message in both plain text and HTML".

Once I'd set that, things changed and I suddenly found that my next post went to the LUG in HTML. Oops! Sorry! This setting over-rode the one I'd made in the first instance, that stated "legacyusergroup.com" was only to be sent plain text (which happens to be on the same screen as the one I described above).

What I've done to remedy this is to go into my Address Book and set for the LUG address that it is only to be sent plain text, and now I'm back to not having to remember to set plain text for my posts, and I'm not bugged by messages for recipients who aren't in my Address Book, or I haven't said which form they're to get. Should have done that in the first place, but didn't know what was to come. ;-)

If you're using Outlook Express, there is a setting there, in the Address Book, if I remember correctly, where you can determine that all emails sent to that particular address will be in plain text. I used to use that before switching programs.

Hope this helps someone.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
Kaiwaka, Northland, New Zealand
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wendyh65/

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***