James Neely wrote
I am wanting to start different files as I add more entries. I assumed it would be adequate to just make 4, using my grandparents' names. To do this, I just saved the entire list (from JAMES) into these 4 (A, B, C, D), and deleted unwanted names.
I am not clear why you would want to keep 4 separate family files. I'm sure there will not be many here who do that.
- As I don't really expect to make this a life's work, are 4 files enough?
3 too many I'd say!
- I used the respective GP in each file as the starting point, and then chased the path up that line. Going in the other direction I plan to include all descendants, which would be duplicative for all files.
Why do you want to make extra work for yourself with all that duplication? As soon as you introduce duplication of data entry you increase the chances for error.
What will you do if you discover that, say, one of your paternal Great Grandparents is also your maternal Great Grandparent because of a marriage of cousins? Will you then duplicate all the information backward for each of those people? If you find multiple cousin marriages you will have massive duplication.
You would be well-advised to re-think your plan to have separate files. When you are only a little more experienced with Legacy you will find it easy to "hive off" certain branches to pass on the data to other family members or print reports for them.
-- Jenny M Benson Have you unlocked the real power of Legacy? Legacy 6.0 Deluxe has 92 features not found in the Standard Edition. Learn more about these features at http://legacyfamilytree.com/DeluxeEdition.asp. Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/ For online technical support, please visit http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp To unsubscribe please visit: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp

