Wayne,
The nice thing about Legacy is it provides an area of cause of death
and then and area for Medical Notes. You can use these to your
advantage in a few ways.

If you run into a term you don't recognize, you can look it up here:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgwkidz/oldmedterm.htm
Consumption is defined as Tuberculosis.

Now you can list either as the cause of death, but I prefer to use the
old terminology since it gives the family history flavor. You can put
(Tuberculosis) in parenthesis to educate your modern readers who
haven't done genealogy. (As you guessed, nearly all experienced
genealogists have run across this word before!)

Legacy also allows for [[Private]] notes that can be viewable to you,
but not printed out in a report, if you select that as an option. So
you can choose to define some more obscure terminology that way for
your own use, or for printing in a report. Edema is one word that I've
explained in further detail this way.

I hope this helps.
Susan