This has been discussed quite a bit in the past. Check out the archives. You may also find the following links helpful:
http://www.fileyourpapers.com/index.html
http://genealogy.about.com/cs/organization/a/filing_systems.htm
http://www.cyndislist.com/organize.htm

Personally, I use to file by MRIN. After some computer problems, I ended up with new MRINs. Not good. Now I'm beginning to assign a number to a document and post descriptive info into an Excel file so I can easily search to find a doc by location, year, type, given name, surname, etc. I am also starting to move from general notes (i.e.: DOS PAF) to source, events, & notes. The source includes a file ID where I can put my assigned document number.

Dawn

Ralf X wrote:

Thanks for the information and your reply Thomas!
How are you enjoying the MRIN filing system? Positives? Negatives? If anyone else has any strong feelings about it I would really love to hear from you. Feel free to e-mail me privately ([EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>). I need to start a filing system, but want to make sure it is the one for me before I purchase all the items. Thank you, Ralf

Thomas Herson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    I know what you're talking about. I have some wide tabbed notebook
    dividers that extend beyond the width of sheet protectors. I wanted to
    buy more for the Legacy notebook organization, but I couldn't find
    them at either Staples or Office Max. However, I did find packages of
    sheet protectors with tabs which work perfectly as dividers and you
    can insert more information about what follows the divieder in the
    tabbes sheet protector.

    The information on the product is:

    Beautone
    Standard Weight
    Sheet Protectors with Tabs
    They are acid free
    The tabs are colored
    Numbers on the UPC label are 46330 and 7 52688 46330 0

    They are sold in 10 Packs and I believe the price per package was
    $2.99.

    I hope this helps

    Tom