I set this up with the following in mind:
1) I want to find the record again!!!
2) I want my current immediate family members to find the record (my minor children also work on genealogy with me) 3) I want my children to be able to identify a needed record when they are no longer living at home. I'll email them an updated list from time to time. 4) I sometimes teach genealogy classes. This chart can help me identify records for a particular time period, type, or locality to prepare a class. 5) I have been known to assist my children in sneaking actual genealogy records into their history assignments. They can move around Excel readily.
6) Eventually, my records may be shared with others.
Therefore, for me, this chart is not a replacement for sourcing records. It is a filing & locating again method. I came up with it when I realized that naming digital files was waaaaaaayyy too cumbersome when I included everything that I wanted. Then I realized that it would work equally well for my paper files. Paper records go into binders in numerical order due to previous mishaps when moving. (My file folders were dumped into larger boxes by movers!)

The rows at the top of the Excel spreadsheet currently include the following: # this is assigned in the order that I touch the record (similar to RIN assignments by the computer) P/D paper or digital; I currently have some of each; another goal is to have both paper an digital eventually class topic this is the title for which I've used this record previously
rec type     vital records, Bible, cenus, etc.
country
state
county
city
Surname
Maiden name even if the maiden name is not on this record, I include known maiden names here so I can search on that field
Given name
year year of record 1700's 1800's 1900's these columns are to identify possible records for a class since some record years might give clues to a different period (i.e.: 1900 census shows 1880-1900 birth info for those still living); I put an "X" in the appropriate column

The flexibility of Excel makes this easy to filter or sort however I like, rearrange the columns, etc. On records such as census, I will enter the head of household, then copy & paste that line to change the name info. The Excel file is also easy to send to my adult child when she is preparing a genealogy class.

Like getting started with inputting genealogy, this takes time. Yes, it overlaps features in Legacy, but it works for me.

Dawn

Jim Keener wrote:

Dawn,
Would you be kind enough to elaborate on how you set up your Excel files? I use the MRIN system, and I would very much like to see how your Excel files work. Thanks, Jim