I notice that whenever I click on reply, the email address of the emailer is displayed. SO-O-O if we don't like the tone of that emailer's email, why don't we have a rule that we (as individuals) will address the emailer directly rather than sending the message to the entire group??

We could still manually enter [LegacyUG] at the beginning of the subject line and write a message rule so that it would go into the Legacy folder in our email programs (rather than into SPAM).

I imagine that in our lives all of us have gotten irritated at some point and said something rude -- and felt totally justified in expressing our anger -- and sooner (or) later when we calmed down regretted the expression of the irritation.

And I feel pretty certain that every one of us has intentionally -- or inadvertently -- irritated someone else (e.g., using html because it's more interesting or prettier and not realizing the technical reasons that we we shouldn't use it for mailing lists).

So if someone wants to inform someone else of that kind -- or any other kind -- of mistake, why not just email that one individual?

If it's something that a LOT of us are doing, then of course it would be appropriate to send a (preferably COURTEOUS) message to the entire group.

And if we're angry about something at the time we write the message, perhaps we could just save it and read it again the next day and perhaps edit it before sending it.

When I'm feeling perfectly calm and happy and then read an angry or abusive email I find it difficult to return to a happy frame of mind -- and then I might take my annoyance out on somebody else -- I'm sure I've sent off some annoyed emails, but I for one hereby resolve from henceforth to try to keep it from creeping into my emails.

If we want more conflict in our lives, all we have to do is to turn on the news!