Hi Jim,

She'd be entered as Jane SMITH with an AKA as Jane JONES

I'd enter her with two sets of parents. Her mother and unknown father and her mother and Charles JONES. I'd enter parent-child relationships showing Charles as step-father. That's what he would have been if the first relationship had been formal and I'm not sure that it being informal changes the situation.

When entering the census I would add a note to say that she is enumerated as Jane JONES.

Cheers,
Cathy