Hi Carol,

I trust you've found the settings in Options > Customise to solve many of your problems.

I can't really comment on how to handle different naming conventions. European users may be able to give you advantages and disadvantages of using the prefixes and suffixes as you are. I suspect the suffix works but I think the prefix is to the whole name not the surname and meant for things like Dr, Professor, Reverend - which I don't enter as the person when born had none of these titles.

To show the name the person actually went by, use the "quoted name"
eg my mother is entered as
Edith Beryl Joyce "Joyce"
In the report options on the Format tab, you can choose to use Quoted Name in narrative - it is then picked up wherever the "first name" would otherwise be used. You can also choose to remove the quoted name when the full name is printed.

Aliases belong in the AKA.
Surname variations are handled differently by different people. Some put them all in the AKAs. Some just note them in the source and/or notes.

There remain problems with the Legacy options for names as Legacy becomes more and more international as various language versions are released. This is increasing the pressure to add more options.

Cathy