Thanks Cathy and everyone else. I believe I now have all the information I need. I have collapsed several Baptism sources (all at the same church) into one Baptism source and entered the appropriate source detail for each. I'll try the obituaries next.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cathy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 9:19 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] A Question About Sourcing


Hi Tom,

A Master Source (Obituary in Newspaper x}with particular source detail re a particular person
Joe Bloggs, 20 Oct 1909, page x, column y
with or without the actual obituary in the Source Detail text (which you can choose to have print with the source citation or not print and just be there for your convenience)
can be added to as many events or people as relevant.

Provided you make no changes at all to the source detail (and the best way to ensure this is to use the Source Clipboard), that Source with that particular source detail will only print once in a report, even if you've used it 20 times.

The Master Source with different source detail will print again if you also have an obituary in the same newspaper for Mary Bloggs.

You can get a list of people who use a particular Master Source by going to the Master Source list and highlighting the source and clicking "Show List" You can't (currently/easily) get a list of those who use a particular Master Source with the same source detail since we can't search on Source Detail.

Cathy

At 08:56 PM 19/10/2007, you wrote:

Thanks Nancy and Ron.

With both your solutions, am I correct in assuming that the Master Source would not identify the deceased or any other person who record uses that source? Also, as most of my families have been local for centuries, there have been hundreds of obituaries in the local newspaper over the years. Wouldn't it get rather cluttered if the date and page number of each of hundreds of obituaries were listed in the source detail?

I do place the entire text of each obituary in the general notes section of the deceased, making sure that I also include the date of publication as well as the name of the newspaper.

My main concern is how to handle the situation where my source for a piece of information about an individual other than the deceased comes from an obituary.

Thanks,

Tom Herson




Legacy User Group guidelines: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp Archived messages: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
Online technical support: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp
To unsubscribe: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp







Legacy User Group guidelines: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp Archived messages: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
Online technical support: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp
To unsubscribe: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp


Reply via email to