Hi Pat,

"When you put so much info into the detail, how do you avoid a lot of retyping when a week or an hour hence you need to cite the same source with some minor variations?"

I would copy the source back into the Source Clipboard, make the desired changes, then attach the "new" source to the item that relates to it.

If you open the Assigned Sources for an individual (the books icon) you will see at the bottom left an icon that looks like two sheets of paper. Hover your cursor over that icon, and it will tell you its purpose is to "Copy Source to Clipboard".

Highlight the source you want to reuse, then click on that icon. A message will come up (if there's anything already in the Source Clipboard) asking whether to overwrite the existing source, or append this new one to it. Every case I've had so far I've wanted to replace the existing.

Then open up the Source Clipboard (click on the upwards-facing arrow or press <Alt><1>*) to edit it - you're only changing what is in the Source Clipboard, not what has already been assigned to your data.

Now it is ready to be assigned to your data.

Don't forget also, to use your mouse/keyboard to copy/cut/paste for you instead of retyping things that are already visible on your screen, whether it's in your Legacy database, a web page, a document someone has sent you, or whatever. If you don't know how to do this, there are some instructions on my web site at http://www.geocities.com/wendy_m_howard/How-to.htm It's a very handy tool that I use many times each day - including for inserting my signature that you see below, and all URLs that you see in my posts.

* see "shortcut keys" in the Help files for more keyboard shortcuts.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
--