Hi Timothy,

I think you've summed it up quite well, when you said "The dilema is in managing sources and eventually linking many of those individuals to my family tree. As I would want to document the sources for all individuals entered, it seems that managing sources in different databases could be cumbersome when it comes time to move individuals (and their linked families) to my family tree database along with their sources."

If you keep it all in one file, then everything is at hand when you need it, and things like sources are kept uniform.

I have done this for my PLAYFORTH family who once lived in the village of Market Weighton, Yorkshire, England. When I had access to the census images, I grabbed every mention of the name in the area. Many I didn't know at that stage how they fitted into the family, but I recorded them anyway in my database - there is a lot of information in census records to help you link people together from one census to the next, as well as putting family groups together. As time has gone on, I've found other information and made contact with the descendants of those people, and have slowly connected the lines up to my own tree.

I've also made transcriptions of things like every SCHLAGER and BREE entry in the New Zealand birth, marriage and death indexes. These names aren't so common that the task was onerous, but the resulting files are very useful when new names are discovered in other places. With these names I haven't added every one to my Legacy database, but I expect that one day a good number of the ones that aren't currently there will be, when I find out how they're connected.

You also said "On the other side, managing hugely numerous unlinked individuals in one database seems like it could become overwhelming."

Not really, because the names are not in your line of sight unless you go looking for them. Like all the other names in your family tree, they sit there patiently until you have a need to go looking for them. It doesn't matter much that they're unconnected to your own line, because when you need them they are quickly located using the Name List.

This is no different to people who have tens of thousands of names in their databases, all connected in some way to the others - I don't think these people remember every name in their file. I know I don't always recognise some amongst the 1400+ names in mine!

Hope this helps.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
--