Hi Ron and others, I know this is a complicated situation to try to
explain and I think it would mainly benefit those with medium to large
databases and those who lump (who have a master source with lots of
details and apply those same details to multiple people, facts, and
events).  Let me see if an example might help.

I find an obituary for John Doe:

I first create a master source like"
<i>The Journal-Patriot [microfilm]</i>, Wilkesboro, North Carolina
(Wilkes County Community College Library)

This master source could be the source for several different peoples'
obits, each of which can apply to many people and/or events.

Now let's say I create a citation detail for one specific article I
find in this newspaper:
obituary for John Doe, vol. XXVI, no. 103, Monday, 20 Nov 1933, page 5

I might want to apply this master source and the source detail to John
Doe's name, birth date, death date, religion, and occupation.  I might
also want to apply this same "master plus detail" to John Does' wife,
parents, and children.

I could use Legacy's source template to copy and paste the master plus
detail combo to all the people and facts.  That would be fine except
that there would be muliple copies of this exact same master plus
detail floating around in Legacy's database.  If I needed to make a
correction to the detail, I would have to "search and replace" the
erroneous portion in every individual copy of this in Legacy.

If the source plus detail were only entered once in Legacy, I envision this:
1) I first select a (previously entered) master source from Legacy
(like I already would now)
2) I then see a drop down box with each previously entered citation
detail choice:

i.e. obituary for John Doe, vol. XXVI, no. 103, Monday, 20 Nov 1933, page 5
obituary for Jane Doe, vol. XXVII, no. 112, Monday, 5 May 1942, page 1
obituary for Baby Doe, vol XXII, no. 74, Monday, 12 February 1921, page 3

3) I would click the one I wanted or I could add a new one
4) I would then click the place to apply the master plus detail (John
Doe's name, Jane Doe's name, John Doe's place of birth, etc.)

The benefit is that you would select the detail to associate with the
master source and then Legacy would create a link to the entire source
set (master plus detail).   You would not have identical copies of
master plus detail like the example below floating around in Legacy
attached to multiple people and/or events.

<i>The Journal-Patriot [microfilm]</i>, Wilkesboro, North Carolina
(Wilkes County Community College Library), obituary for John Doe, vol.
XXVI, no. 103, Monday, 20 Nov 1933, page 5

Let's say I have 1 newspaper (one master source) with obituaries for
10 different people, each with his own separate citation detail.  That
would lead to 10 different "master plus detail" combos.  Then let's
say I paste one of these 10 souce combos to 5 people and/or events.
That equates to 5 separate source listings in Legacy.  If each "master
plus detail" combos (that is - one newspaper plus one person's
individual obit detail) could be formed so that a link could be
established between it and a person/fact/event, there would only be 1
source listings instead of 5 as above.

I know this sounds convoluted, but I just feel that if I could talk
with a programmer, I could get this to make more sense.  I once had a
project working with electronic invoicing at a prior job and everyone
thought I was crazy until I finally caught the programmers interest
and we ended up saving a ton of time, money, data storage space, and
many less errors.  It's just very complicated to describe in words!

Anyway, sorry for going on about this as I know it doesn't have any
chance of being included with v7.  However, I do think this idea is
worthy of consideration and hope it makes a tiny bit of sense.

Now I'm off to a movie with Mom and sis while hubby watches the kids!...

Gail Rich Nestor
Smyrna, GA
www.roots2buds.net

On Dec 29, 2007 2:09 PM, ronald ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gail,
>
> Please forgive me but I do not understand what you are saying. There is one
> Master Source which (hopefully) does not need changing and then source
> details which are related to the individual and, therefore, must be changed
> for each. So , what is the probem? Or is it a problem that only splitters
> have?
>
> Ron Ferguson

> For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
> http://www.fergys.co.uk
> *New Blog* Protect Your PC
> View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
> http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
> For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
>
> > Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:11:27 -0500
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> > Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Sources
> >
> > Hi Michele, you have hit upon a scenario that is exactly why I hope
> > Legacy will consider a change in its source formatting. Your method
> > is the same as mine for attaching sources to different people and
> > different facts or events. Unfortunately, every time we attach a
> > single source to all these different places, it adds an extra
> > identical copy of that exact same source in the database.
> >
> > I wish so much that the source could just be in the database once and
> > then that same source could be attached as a *link* to all the various
> > places it needs to go. It would save so much space and would help
> > immensely when I find an error I want to correct. I wouldn't have to
> > correct 10 duplicate copies. Instead I would just have the one linked
> > copy to correct.
> >
> > Gail Rich Nestor
> > Smyrna, GA
> > www.roots2buds.net
> >

> > On Dec 29, 2007 9:30 AM, Michele Lewis  wrote:
> >> Here is what I did (and am still doing). Everything NEW that goes in my
> >> file gets a source like it is supposed to. Then, over time, I have been
> >> going back SLOWLY and adding the sources for everything else.
> >>
> >> I started with my paper files. I have my filing system set up like the
> >> Family History Library recommends. I pull one folder at a time and enter
> >> all the info for that couple. For example, if I had a death cerificate I
> >> would add the death certificate info as a source for
> >> the person's name
> >> the person's date of birth
> >> the person's place of birth
> >> the person's parent's names
> >> the person's date of death
> >> the person's date of burial
> >> the person's place of burial
> >> the person's last residence
> >> the person's spouse info
> >> the person's cause of death
> >> and anything other info I can glean
> >>
> >> It takes a long time but it is worth the effort. As long as you are adding
> >> sources for all the NEW info going in your file you can take all the time
> >> you need to get the rest of your file corrected. Start with your direct
> >> line and then go back and work on collateral lines.

> [...]

Gail Rich Nestor
Smyrna, Georgia
www.roots2buds.net

Give Legacy as a Gift for 25% Off. Visit http://tinyurl.com/2b49et