I'll second George's response. I have a little over 6,000 and they
were all researched by me. You can use the GEDCOMs online as clues. If
and when you add those "3 or 4 people" who are of interest to you,
just be sure to source them, mark their Surety Level at a 0 or 1, and
provide the name of the Family Tree or GEDCOM where you got that
person's name from on the web or by email. (You will want to be able
to check back sometimes.)

I do research spouses' families up and down and 3rd/4th cousins,
looking for clues and always hoping that someone will be researching
the line I am most interested in. But I started out with just my main
relatives/ancestors, and that's a very good place to start. As you get
more advanced, and want to break down more brick walls, that's when
you'll start finding yourself needing to expand beyond your main
lines. [And you never know when someone from one of those oddball
lines will send you a photograph of one of your late relatives!]

Susan