From: "Jim Terry/Support" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 12:20 PM
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Word Document

 Barbara,

 The RTF format is a generic word processing document that you can open in
MS Word.

 To produce this type of report output format, click the option near the
bottom-right corner of the reports that support this output type.  When you
do, the Print icon turns into Save icon.  Clicking this icon prompts you
for a filename and location for saving the rich text format file.
It will have a file extension of .rtf.  When the file has been saved,
Legacy offers to open it with your default word processor if you want to
view it or work with it.

With the RTF file open in MS Word you can edit it to add additional
information and pictures. Index and Table of Content codes are even
embedded in the RTF file so that MS Word can generate these items and refer
to the correct page numbers.

The recommended order for working in the RTF file is:

 1. First, make any changes/additions you want to the body of the book.
2. When done editing the book, then generate the Table of Contents using
the MS Word's Index and Tables feature. (Click on Insert and select
Reference > Index and Tables.)
3. The very last step is to generate the Index using the MS Word's Index
and Tables feature. (Click on Insert and select Reference > Index and
Tables.)

 This order is very important because the page numbering for the Table of
Contents and the Index won't be right if you do them before making
changes/additions to the book.

Good Luck,

 Jim Terry
Technical Support