Event:  Travel
Date:  18-27 August 1920
Place:  Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Notes: He travelled Tourist Class aboard the RMS Baltic, for an intended stay of 8-10 months.

In a Report the complete sentence reads:

Travel: From 18-27 August he travelled from Liverpool, Lancashire, England to New York, en route to Hamilton Cotton Co, Fort Worth, Texas. He travelled Tourist Class aboard the RMS Baltic, for an intended stay of 8-10 months.

I'm also doubtful if I should register the initial trip as one or two events
(departure & arrival).

I don't have details of that person's return trip, but if I did I would make a second Travel Event for that following the same format.

Also I'm in doubt whether the final 'movement' to US
should be registered as an emigrations or as an immigration event, or both.

Where I have people who emigrated I have documented it as an Emigration Event, rather than an Immigration. I think that might be because I was born and raised in the UK and in my file are relatives to emigrated to the USA and Australia. If I was born and raised in, say, USA, I might use Immigration for people who moved there. I'm not sure!

PS! I did experiment with the Sentence Overwrite, but I found the filed
length to short to fit all the relevant details

I'm not sure what you mean about the filed length being too short, but note that I re-wrote the Event Definition for all Travel Events; I didn't use the Sentence Override facility.
--
Jenny M Benson