-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Janis
Gilmore
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 9:35 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Sources and the elusive version 7 .... again.

John and Randolph,

But the purpose of a citation is to clearly state what your source was. If
your source for the digital image was Ancestry.com, then your source should
state that. If you didn't look at the original microfilm publication at
NARA, your source shouldn't imply that you did.

There are many cases in which the digital image for a census page is much
clearer on Heritage Quest than it is on Ancestry, and (of course) the
reverse. Perhaps you might misinterpret data for a particular census family
because you are working from a poor scan. By citing where you actually saw
the image, you are explaining potential discrepancies between your research
and another person's research.

And by the way, if I sound as if I think I have it all figured out - I
don't. I am just finding my way step by step, like everyone else on this
list :-) My methods are constantly evolving; I have learned an enormous
amount from belonging to the APG list, and the Transitional Genealogy lists.

I do agree with Elizabeth that a more streamlined form for sourcing is
appropriate in many situations. I disagree, however, that those who have
chosen to conform to what has become the de facto standard (Mills) are
"snooty." Most are just working hard toward publishing in one of the
genealogical or historical quarterlies, or toward certification by BCG or
ICAPGEN.

Janis