Keith,

That is, as I said, how I do it and. yes, it does lead to a very large number
of Residence Events. But this does not cause problems - after all that is what
databases are for!

New Blog: Free Contacts Database for use with Open Office
http://www.fergys.co.uk
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:47:25 -0400
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Census vs Residence Events
>
> Interesting idea - if I understand - it might happen that you have
> MANY residence events for a single person. I lived in three places in
> less that 1 year (just for an example). So if I found evidence for
> each location - each would be a different residence event? I have
> grandparents living in 5 different places over 60 years of census data
> - resulting in 5 residence events?
>
> Just thinking aloud...
>
> Keith.
>

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Elsie Saar  wrote:
>> I also do not use Census events. I list all items from a census to
>> appropriate events: name, residence, birth, occupation, education, real
>> estate, etc and use the census as a source. So if I see a residence for
>> 1920, for example, I can easily see what the source is, whether it's a
>> census or directory or whatever. Each person on each census gets all items
>> of info entered. Perhaps I'm a little pedantic.
>>
>> For what it's worth, I enter a residence event as:
>> Event: Residence
>> Desc: with his father in law at 232 Washington Ave. in
>> Date: Jan 1, 1920
>> Place: Kingston, Ulster Co., New York, USA
>>
>> Then I source that event:
>> Master Source: US Federal Census
>> Detail: 1920 NY, Ulster, ED 64, sheet 4b, line 13
>>
>> I copy the residence event with its source, and use it for each member of
>> the household. I use the line number of the head of the household for each
>> member. If I have used a relationship such as "with his father in law" I
>> change that to read "with her father" or for children, "with his/her
>> grandfather".
>> Elsie
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "ronald ferguson"
>> Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 5:05 AM
>> Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Finding placenames and associated family files
>>

>> Ah, Cathy.
>>
>> Now I understand why we have had similar discussions in the past. I do not
>> use Census Events and *only* use censuses as Sources for other events eg
>> Residence, Name, Occupation etc etc.
>>
>> Hence I have these events for *all* my individuals - if applicable.
>>

>> Ron Ferguson

Welcome to the next generation of Windows Live
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live