  From: Penny
  To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
  Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 10:34 AM
  Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] New User of Legacy seeking advice

  I don't think I really had any major difficulties, Colin.  There were a
  couple of minor things that didn't quite translate, but the major data was
  all intact (people were where they were supposed to be in the database & the
  sources & notes were all attached as I had them, etc.). The very few minor
  things were easy enough to fix.

  Check to see how many individuals you have in your FTM db.  During import,
  Legacy will tell you how many it's importing; that way you'll be reassured
  that all your people made it through.

  Later (after I'd made enough changes to my file to cause me not to want to
  do a re-import), I discovered that I wished I had told Legacy to put all my
  FTM notes into the "research notes" rather than into "general notes".
  (Something you might want to consider, depending on what your current notes
  look like and what your preferences are.)

  What version of FTM are you using?  I ran backwards from the latest one - it
  sounded like a total disaster.  My suggestion would be to give exporting a
  gedcom from FTM a try and see what your import into Legacy looks like.  I
  found that fiddling around with my files after I got them into Legacy was a
  great way to start learning to use it.

  No, I don't run FTM at all any more - I found shortly after getting Legacy
  that FTM didn't fill any needs that Legacy couldn't handle better.  (I don't
  work for 'em  ...  honest!  LOL  I just really like the software.)

  I'm still finding out where all the buttons and hootchits are that make the
  bells and whistles on Legacy do their thing, but it's not so difficult as to
  kill the fun.

  Penny< who thinks you better enjoy that sun before winter sets in!