Sorry, Kris but I still don't get it.

Have a look at tblIR of your .fdb file in either Access or OOo Base and you
will see that the birth dates, for example, are stored as a formatted string of
numbers and how you actually put them in is unimportant, the format is still
the same.

This is the sentence I do not get:>I now have, basically, garbage for dates in
my CSV file.
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 01:54:04 -0500
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Date Formats in CSV
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hi, Ron --
>
> You aren't dense at all. As a matter of fact, you've hit the exact
> point. That *is* the way I actually entered the dates -- i.e.,
> 11/24/1988. CSV didn't change anything -- and neither did Legacy. The
> *view* in Legacy is according to the Customize> Dates option. I enter
> "11/24/1988" in the Legacy field, hit tab, and the view in that field is
> changed to "24 Nov 1988" per my options.
>
> My question was, since I've entered the dates in so many different ways, I
> now have, basically, garbage for dates in my CSV file. Trying to change
> the format in those cells creates even more of a mess. The "11/24/1988"
> is okay -- but "Nov 1988" or "1788-1794" isn't.
>
> It really isn't that important and I'm not going to mess with it anymore.
> What I'm really using at this point in the CSV is the RIN and the name. I
> wanted the dates to help identify people with the same names, and wanted
> to find out if there was a quick fix for the dates for future reference in
> case I wanted to use them in a CSV in the future.
>
> Kris
>
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 01:24:14 -0500, ronald ferguson
> wrote:
>
>> Kris,
>>
>> It may be that I am particulatly dense this morningm but I really do not
>> see what you are getting at. No program stores a date in the way in
>> which you see it. The format which is visual is decided by the user. In
>> Legacy this is in Customise>Dates, as you know and in Open Office Calc
>> it is in Format>Cells>Numbers>Date.
>>
>> I do not know where to find it in Access. I have never come across
>> Saving As .CSV to change anything which has been entered
>>

>> Ron Ferguson

>> New Blog: Free Contacts Database for use with Open Office
>> http://www.fergys.co.uk
>> View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
>> http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
>> For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:
>> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
>>

>>> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:19:33 -0500
>>> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>>> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Date Formats in CSV
>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>>
>>> Thank you to everyone who responded, but once again, I apparently was
>>> not
>>> clear.
>>>
>>> I have Legacy set to display dates as "29 Nov 1847." I can enter
>>> "11/29/1847" and it will format the date as per my settings, i.e., "29
>>> Nov
>>> 1847." However, the date is apparently stored as "11/29/1847"in Access
>>> and in the CSV file it is displayed as "11/29/1847."
>>>
>>> Because I have been inconsistent in my data entry, since no matter how I
>>> entered it the date was displayed as per my options, I have a mess of
>>> different formats in the CSV file, i.e., "24 June 1843", "02/04/1947",
> [...]

Be a superhero and win! Play the Iron Man Mashup Game
http://www.ironmanmashup.co.uk