-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Cathy
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:26 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Quoted Names In Given Field for Reports and Charts

Hi John,

Whether I use a Quoted Name or an AKA is a decision I make on an
individual basis after asking the question "Do I want this name to be
the one used in narratives?" If yes - it has to be a quoted name. If
no - it's an AKA.

I think the difference is between a name that is always or mostly
used by everyoneor almost everyone (familiar) as opposed to a name
that is used by a few (nickname).

For example: My mother was known as Joyce. This was her third given
name so it would be wrong to call it a nickname but to have it used
in narrative it must be added as a Quoted Name.
Her school friends called her "T". All her life she received letters
from some which began "Dear T".
This is a nickname that I have in the AKAs.

Her brother was known as Roy. This wasn't one of his given names so a
true nickname but everyone knew him as Roy all his life - so it's
entered as a Quoted Name.
Another example: My nephew Richard is mostly known as Richard.
However many of his cousins call him "Wretched" and he still signs
himself "Wretched" in some situations (and so he was for a short time
in his adolescence ;-) but not now as a father of 4). I've entered it
as an AKA as it's not in general use - however I wouldn't want to
ignore it as it's there in letters and cards.

Cathy