Thank you.

You explanation was very helpful.

john

Cathy wrote:
Hi John,

Whether I use a Quoted Name or an AKA is a decision I make on an individual basis after asking the question "Do I want this name to be the one used in narratives?" If yes - it has to be a quoted name. If no - it's an AKA.

I think the difference is between a name that is always or mostly used by everyoneor almost everyone (familiar) as opposed to a name that is used by a few (nickname).

For example: My mother was known as Joyce. This was her third given name so it would be wrong to call it a nickname but to have it used in narrative it must be added as a Quoted Name. Her school friends called her "T". All her life she received letters from some which began "Dear T".
This is a nickname that I have in the AKAs.

Her brother was known as Roy. This wasn't one of his given names so a true nickname but everyone knew him as Roy all his life - so it's entered as a Quoted Name. Another example: My nephew Richard is mostly known as Richard. However many of his cousins call him "Wretched" and he still signs himself "Wretched" in some situations (and so he was for a short time in his adolescence ;-) but not now as a father of 4). I've entered it as an AKA as it's not in general use - however I wouldn't want to ignore it as it's there in letters and cards.

Cathy