John S. Adams wrote
I would record the letters as sources, transcribing the contents in the text field or scanning them and attaching them as pictures, or both.  The letters probably contain information about various family members which you would enter for those individuals and use the letter(s) as sources.

But the letters might *not* contain such information and whilst not providing source material, might yet be interesting in relation to the person(s) to whom they were sent or by whom they were sent.

In such cases I would make the receipt/sending of the letter the subject of an Event/Fact and attach a scan of the document to the Event. You might make the EventName "Correspondence", the Description "Letter from Piggy Malone to Charley Farley" and the Date the date on the letter. You could add further explanatory/interpretative notes in the Notes section and/or a transcription of the letter.

Just as many of us use Censuses as both Events and Sources, you might want to use the letters in both ways.
--
Jenny M Benson