Erik,
Go to the foster parents. Click on View - Childrens List. Highlight
the foster child in the list. If you click on Child Status, you can
then "Add" a new status, "foster child" to the list.

In reports, you can print the child status so this appears. There is
also a way to show Child Status in the family view, click on Options -
Customize - View, and in the lower right, "show status" click "on
children".

Susan