Thanks Gene, Connie, Wynthner, and others.

I had not thought of using the privacy brackets (or name suffix) for this purpose. Good idea.

Do you know how GEDCOM deals with these privacy brackets?

Jeff

Gene Young wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
What is the best way to deal with unknown maiden names?

Using "Unknown", or "???" creates a lot of individuals named
"Unknown" without any hint of who they are connected to.

One idea is to enter "???husb" where "husb" is the husband's surname
(as an identifying reference point in a name list) but I would like
to know how others deal with the problem.  One problem with using
"???husb" is that someone unfamiliar with the system might
mistakenly assume that the maiden name was the same as the husband's
surname. Another possibility might be to use "Unknown_married_to_husb" (again
husb stands for the husband's surname) which is long and klutzy and
may not be acceptable format in Legacy or GEDCOMs.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

If the husband's name is John DOE and the wife is Mary UNKNOWN I
enter her as Mary [[DOE]].  This way I know she is married to DOE but
the last name doesn't show up on any reports.