Most information in the file tends to be before the present "counties"
appeared so I find it easiest to stick with the 19th Century counties, there
were a few minor adjustments then but nothing like what was done post-1972.

Many people still don't use the modern county names - my home was in Bolton,
Lancashire and I would never put Bolton, Great Manchester on an envelope or
anywhere else.

The Association of British Counties has some details of the changes over the
years.

http://www.abcounties.co.uk/

The modern "counties" tend to come and go as politicians change - changing
the county boundaries is always a good excuse for a pay rise of all the
senior officials.  But most of the old county names have been around for
many hundreds of years though my home county of Lancashire is relatively new
having only appeared in 1182.

Martin Briscoe
Fort William
M&LFHS | Gwynedd FHS