A suggestion I put in (during but near the end of V6) would address
this....   I'd like to be able to setup a customized timeline of place
locations.  This would be something that the genealogist would do for
locations, not a database that would be done by a company....    Basically
for a location, you could setup start and end dates for a name, including
the current name....

So - for my all favorite location (ok, the main place I'm doing research
right now...)

1791-1841                 Etobicoke, York, Upper Canada, British North
America
1841-1 Jul 1867         Etobicoke, York, Canada West, British North America
1 Jul 1867 - Present   Etobicoke, York, Ontario, Canada

What I suggested, is with that info, if I used the place with a date, it
could (with my permission?) correct the name if I put in the wrong one...
it might be fun logic - but would be very helpful!

With mapping, it could put in the current place name for the search....