To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Census - To split or not to split, that is the question!

Hi

This is my first ever posting to this list and I don't even use Legacy but have always used TMG. I do however own Legacy V7 and I like the program but it would be too much work to move from TMG. One of the reasons for this is that, because of the way TMG handles witnesses, only the head of household would be linked to the census in a gedcom file. Also I don't like the way Legacy has unstructured addresses.

However getting back to the point I will say that I am a "lumper" and that I just have a source for, for example the 1841 UK Census or the 1880 US census and so on. In the citation goes the name of the head of house, the place (not the address) and the reference number. I don't include anything else because it will be in the database anyway e.g. street name etc. If I didn't do this I could end up with thousands of sources - approaching 1000 families times 1841 through 1901 and soon 1911 is a lot of sources to name and wade through. No thanks!

regards

Bruce McArthur
Newcastle upon Tyne
England