Cathy,
I have been an extreme splitter of census records (one source for each
household every year) but with source writer, am slowly combining to
one source for each county & year.  One of the best features in Legacy
is the ability to name your source so you can easily find it and still
have the proper source title appear on reports.  For census sources,
my source name starts with Cen, then has the 2 digit state
abbreviation, then the county name and then year.  (I don't currently
have any census records outside the USA but would start with country
abbreviation in that case.)

Example:  Cen-KY-Rockcastle-1850
This sorts all the census sources together first by state, then by
county and finally by year so I can quickly tell if I already have a
master source entered or if I need to add one.

Linda