Opening jpg's does not cause a loss in picture quality. Only if they're repeatedly edited.
JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www3.telus.net/Jgen/jlog.html

Barrie Smart wrote:
Depends on what the file will be doing. JPG files are "lossy" files, so they lose some detail every time they're opened and then saved. Their benefit is small file sizes (hence why they're almost the standard in digital cameras). TIFF are "lossless" files, which retain their total information even after multiple openings. With a scanned printed page I would think the lossy factor wouldn't be of great concern, and if you use TIFF a save a lot of files in this format, your overall data files will grow appreciably.

Of course, anyone getting a JPG file from you can open it and then save it in TIFF format if they're concerned about data loss.

HTH