If Legacy has 9 Positions in the Location Field then the designers must done this for a reason. I'm having trouble seeing/understanding this in documentation or help.

It seems logical to me that position 9 should be used for the category that is the least specific ( I would assume that the Country is usually the least specific category, except for those limiting their research to one Country only), and all lower positions should become more specific if known. Even with a 4 position system, if one starts using position 4 for Country, it seems to be limiting in the future if one decides they might want to document locations with more precise information in the future.

Is there any negative implications if one uses position 9 for Country vs using Position 4?

Is there any negative implications if one uses a location system larger than 4 positions?

I guess for those who only use 4 Positions then one can see all Individuals that have a common city. But would one only use a system of 3 Positions if one wanted to see all locations that share the same County, or a 2 position system to be able to see all who share the same State?

Ideally it would be nice to print our reports at any level of positions and not limit it to only a Report based on the number of positions being used. (All using same State, using same house)

Is there a way to print out a report to show
a) All that lived on the same Street or
b) All those that might have lived in the same House
c) All that Live in the Same County
if you use a 4 Position system?

I have approximately 10,000 events that I'd like to import, 80% have location information detailed to the Address#/Street level and 20% detailed to the City level.
It would be great to then allow Legacy VE to geocode these events.

I'd like to implement a system so I don't have go back and redo everything in the near future.

thanks for your insights,
jdm

ronald ferguson wrote:
Actually, Paul, if one sets the Location List to read from right to left then
it's quite easy to manage the locations when the full address is included in
the location field.

Over the past month or so, even excluding mapping, we have seen many instances
of users having different problems, many relating directly or indirectly to
searching, because they rigidly stick to the 4 field format.

Just my view!

Update your British Prime Ministers Timeline - Blogs
http://www.fergys.co.uk
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See: