Ronald E Howell wrote
Also, how do you create Source Detail without a Master Source?

You don't! Source Detail is for information which is specific to one individual or event, or just a few and is therefore the "variations" of the Master Source.

For example, "Birth Certificate" is a Master Source - you have one, I have one, everyone else has one: they can all be described as Birth Certificate. However, as soon as you say "my Birth Certificate" or "your Birth Certificate" or "his Birth Certificate" you are adding specifics which are the Source Detail.

You *could* if you really wished, do away with Source Detail completely and have a new Master Source for every single variation of every Source, but I don't recommend it. You can't do away with Master Source because if you have a Source it is a Master Source!
--
Jenny M Benson