  From: John Clare
  To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
  Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Entering English Locations

  My apologies for being sharp, but Britain did not have a system created in
the 17th and 18th centuries for its naming conventions and the name can be
important in understanding the history.
  The county of Kent was invaded by the Jutes in roughly 600 to 700 AD and they
got no further than Kent. How do we know; first, there are excavations along
the border between Surrey and Sussex on one side and Kent on the other which
show battle graves dating from the period, but also the place names change.
Harbours in Kent are called Ramsgate and Margate for instance, harbours in
Sussex are called Havens - Newhaven for instance. Towns in some areas finish in
-ton whereas in other areas they can be -burghs or -burys. Places such as
Manchester, Lancaster, Chester derive their names from the latin castra for a
fort. The many places called Eccles refer to Roman sites of churches
(ecclesiastes)
  Until Chaucer in about 1400, the English language was so diverse that no one
could write something which could be understood be more than a small proportion
of the population. A hill could be a brae, a tor, a hill, a cop or any of
another dozen names. Rivers are the same.
  Their names today are a distant echo of their history and work is being done
to relate the names to the people. DNA testing of long term families is also
being used to work alongside this.
  I feel it is important to preserve these links and to investigate them.
Naming conventions can help to preserve that history so that, when the experts
find more about places, you will be able to benefit by preserving the name in
your addresses and then extending the history.
  I will now get off my hobby-horse
  John