You must first decide which location system you will use, and then the
questions become easy.
1. Use the location name as it existed at the time of the 'event'. I have some
towns with as many as eight different names.
2. Use the location as it exists 'today'. Then when governments change the
various boundaries, you must re-edit the wole country. Sweden 2 times in 20th
century. England, Scotland in the 1990s, US states and counties (see AniMap).
I use choice 1, because once the research is done, the past doesn't re-do
itself.
Rich in LA CA