If I'm reading this right, your 'external' hard-drive was actually a second internal HD. I believe the reason that it won't install to an external hard-drive is that there's no registry there. It's a portable device like a flash-drive, just bigger.
-----
JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www.jgen.ws/jlog.html