I don't lump census sources either.  I have over 26,000 people in my data base,
and hundreds, perhaps thousands of census records.  I don't find the length of
the list to be unmanageable.

For U.S. and Canada census records, I start with an event: Event=census,
date=year of census, place=city, state, country.  From there I go directly to
the source.

The short name for the source record is the year, country, and head of
household or institution name.  The long name has in addition, the full place,
including street address, the district, sheet/page, line, dwelling, household.
In the person's detail, I list the information about that person.

This way, I can open the event list for the person and see where they lived and
when, and in the source list for that person I can quickly see who they were
living with.

For my website, I also use the short name to link the person to another page
where I have listed the long name.  (I don't use Legacy to generate my web
site.)

For Scandinavian census records (mostly Norway), I use the farm name instead of
the name of the head of household, mostly because I am working from
transcriptions where there might be several households on a farm and I'm not
always sure how to divide up the people.

I do lump original vital records by state, such as "Michigan Vital Records".
If the information is from an index rather than an original, I use a separate
source for each index.  This tells me at a quick glance the level of surety and
whether I still need to verify the information

Shirley
Shirley York Anderson   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
My web site: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~syafam/