Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your responses.  I guess folk are divided as to split or
lump.  I think there does seem to be a problem with editing the detail
source (en bloc) as people have obviously experienced.

Gail's idea of "having identical citation details entered only once, and
then creating multiple links to different people (instead of having to
create multiple entries of the same detail each time it is needed)" seems
very sensible to me, and I guess it would save on hard drive space too.

It was perhaps the comment by Shirley "I don't lump census sources either.
I have over 26,000 people in my data base, and hundreds, perhaps thousands
of census records.  I don't find the length of the list to be unmanageable"
that convinces me that splitting sources is the way it will work better for
me.  The size of my database is only a fraction of the size of Shirley's - I
can't ever imagine me having the time to research so many folk - Shirley
must be very dedicated, as I know many of you are.

There is obviously a concern about 'citations' in report and as Ward
suggests, we will only know the final result of this when the problems have
been sorted.

Thanks once more for your posts and your patience.

Best wishes

David

David S Brookes
Musical Director, The Brewood Singers
        www.brewoodsingers.co.uk
Organist & Choirmaster, Polesworth Abbey
        www.polesworthabbey.co.uk