Ron,

Please forgive me for asking you something that has nothing to do with your
present conversation.  Let me tell you where this is coming from to help you
understand what my hangup is.  I've been researching for over 40 years and have
amassed a beautiful collection of documents that fill several binders.  It
suddenly occurred to me that I'm getting a little older and that if I were to
pass this collection down to our children, they'd be lost.  That's because it
needs to be better organized.  I tried to organize it through the years.
Unfortunately, each system of notekeeping broke down as the collection of
information increased.  I've finally decided to use the system put forth of
fileyourpapers.com.

My goal is to go through these records and make the sources as correct as I
know how.  I'm using the Deluxe version of Legacy and love it.  At the same
time, the genealogy people in our area are also trying to teach people how to
properly document their sources.  We are in the throes of inviting those who
are interested to move from PAF to Legacy.  What that means is that finally
after two years of pleading, they are putting the standard version of Legacy on
the computers at our center so that we have a choice of which program to use.

Now to my hangups.  I've bought Getting It Right, Evidence Explained, and the
first skinny Evidence book.  Also have the Legacy manual.  I'd like to buy the
E book but can't afford it right now.  My hangup is this:  I don't understand
how the following terms are used:
  a.. event
  b.. tags
  c.. event tags
Now before you think me totally stupid, here's my problem.  I read in Getting
It Right that an event has attributes such as date and time, geographic
location,  and an activity (event).  It's confusing to see the word event in
().  I'm not sure what's meant by that.  Perhaps my inability to understand
event may stem from confusing event with a record or a source.  I'm pretty hard
wired for these things.  What I'm seeing is that some things that have these
attributes don't seem to be perceived as events.  And so I truly don't
understand the concept of an event.

Everyone talks about tags.  I read through all the tags in Getting It Right.
Still, even in the Legacy manual and elsewhere, people seem to expect me to
understand what a tag is, specifically what it does, and what it's used for.
It's just assumed.  I wish someone could gently lead me by the hand and explain
this confusion so I can get on with the piles of binders patiently waiting for
me to organize them.

Could you explain any of these terms in understandable, plain English?
Computers don't scare me.  However, I haven't quite made a total mental
crossover between my records and computers, even though I started using PAF
practically the day it came out.

Any suggestions you could make would be greatly appreciated.  The E book sounds
really good, but I can't afford it at the moment; likewise the same for the
Legacy videos.  They do a great job.  My biggest complaint is that after all
the reading and digging, I have yet to see an actual example of how a census or
a vital record looks when properly entered into Legacy.  Also, I'm a little
hung up on the anatomy of some of my vital records certificates.  For instance,
there may be more than one set of numbers on a birth certificate.  What do they
represent and which does one list and how?  I'm sure both sets are important.

I hope these questions make sense and that you wouldn't mind enlightening me so
I can cross over and get going on this pile of stuff.

Thanks,
Marion