This sounds exactly what I would like to do.  Would you be so kind as to
outline the steps involved, please?
Obviously set tabs 1-4 for each line, then tag each line, but this is
where things sometimes go awry with me.

1. How can I be sure that EVERYONE in any way connected to my
father-in-law, for example, is tagged 1 and then coloured blue? I can tag his parents and their ancestors but their descendants are then left out. If I click 'entire family line' that includes all those other lines I don't want. How can I include my husband's g.g.g.g.g.g.g.g.g. granddad's descendants not in the direct line, for instance? I do realise this is explained in the help file, but I seem to go round and round in circles, not getting there!

2. Is it then possible to put the letter H into all their ID numbers,
followed by their RIN, but not in the other lines.

3. Having done the same to the other three lines, I would then like to
put different letters in to each batch of IDs there.

4. I realise I could export each line separately and then colour and tag before re-merging but as I have been one of those with merge disasters I don't want to do that!

With 3,000+ people in the database, I don't want to do it all manually!
Elizabeth

Jenny M Benson wrote:
In addition to using the Ancestor Colour Coding, which only affects the direct line as you say, I use the same set of colours for the Tabs 1 to 4 which I use to distinguish each line. *Everyone* in the my paternal grandfather's line is tagged 3 and colour coded blue, for example, and that includes people who married into that line. I also use a letter to distinguish the line which is part of the User ID so I always know at a glance where anyone belongs.

*** Holiday discounts on Legacy 7.0, add-ons, books, and more. Visit
http://tinyurl.com/65rpbt. ***