I have mine tethered on my key chain, so it is difficult for me to get very far without it. One point that hasn't been discussed is that for all the backups people make, the one most often forgotten is the off-site backup. Burning and mailing a CD, emailing a file to a relative or uploading to a web site are all good, but tend to be less regular. The biggest advantage I see for flash drives (and the same thing that makes them easier to lose) is their small size. If I am at work or otherwise away from home and it burns down, I still have my *current* genealogy and other important files with me. Any and all backups I have at home will go up in smoke with the main file. Portable hard drives are good and I use one for my business, but it only goes from work to home and back. I don't carry it around on every little errand.

Gary Templeman

----- Original Message ----- From: "MICHELLE CROSBY" <ksuhist...@msn.com>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:41 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Flash Drive

Good Evening from snowy and cold Illinois- please be very careful with flash drives- as a supervisor of a computer dept- I have seen many a customer lose their flash drives or break them or not remove them after using them- its always a good idea to have a portable HD to back up your files- and of course old fashion paper.

Shelly