Shelly,

As all of my ancestors (so far) are Irish, I can comment on the Irish
part of your question, at least in regard to how I do it (the same can
usually be said to be true of Northern Ireland, England, Scotland and
Wales).

Generally I use the following for Ireland: Town, County, Country, and
any more exact part of the location, such as street name or townland I
include in the address (by clicking on the "plus" symbol beside the
details on the Individual's information screen), e.g., I would enter
my location as Ballymote, County Sligo, Ireland, but as I live in the
countryside in a townland outside the town of Ballymote I would
include that information using the "Plus" button.

Everywhere in Ireland is part of a county (unlike some cities in USA,
for example, which do not appear to be), and the county is always
written as above, i.e., County Sligo, and not Sligo County.  Don't
forget, of course, the history of the country/countries here, Northern
Ireland and the Republic of Ireland have only existed in their current
form for a little over 80 years, and prior to that were one country,
and part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

As regards locations in England, Scotland and Wales, you wouldn't
normally include United Kingdom (UK) or Great Britain (GB), the
country name is usually sufficient.  Also counties in these three
countries are generally (though not always) known as shires, and are
often shortened in addresses, or sometimes not included at all, except
in places where there may be confusion.  I'm sure Ron Ferguson will be
able to give you more info on this, as he's the expert on it on the
LUG.

Now back to childcare, it's quite difficult to type one-handed with a
one-year-old on yoru knee also trying to copy what Daddy's doing!

Regards,

Dermot.

--

Try out Legacy Family Tree Software today! It's FREE!!
http://www.legacyfamilytreestore.com/?Click=1440

2009/1/25 Michele Lewis <cranberryf...@charter.net>:
> How about these counties?  How many divisions?

<snip>
> Ireland
> Northern Ireland
> England
</snip>

<snip>
> Scotland
>
> I would like to hear from people who actually do reseach in these countries
> so that I do not mess up the data entry.
>
> Shelly
</snip>