The difference between a Borough and a Town is a nice one. Our Town,
Kingston upon Thames for instance is a Borough (a Royal Borough to be
precise, but that is another game). I think most charters have gone to
Boroughs by which I implied towns. The normal wording of the charter
is addressed to the Mayor Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough (
notice is does not mention Councillors) a point which, as an Alderman
(Honorary) I never fail to mention to mere Councillors, despite the
minor fact of their being elected.
The main point was to distinguish them from Urban and Rural District
Councils and Improvement Commissioners who all have a Chairman, but I
accept that there are Boroughs which may not be considered Towns
Regards (and a happy new year to you)
John