The US has townships, sometimes boroughs, within counties. Some cities, like Richmond, VA, do not have a county, and in Philadelphia, the City and County merged over 150 years ago. My husband, however, grew up in a township.

         Elizabeth C

ci...@treadles.ca wrote:
Tindale Terrace, Farlam Parish, County Cumberland, England

Cramlington, Northumberland, England

SegHill, Northumberland, England

Heathcote, Rodney, Victoria, Australia

Lot 403 MEMORIAL GARDEN, Fairhaven Memorial Park, Santa Ana, Orange,
California, USA

Minor problem here - I know that Canada and the USA have counties, Canada has
townships
within counties, Britain has in some cases Ridings and/or parishes within
counties, but
I'll admit my ignorance.
What does Australia have? Provinces, states?

And what does the USA have within counties? Do they have townships?

I'll enter -

Brandesburton Parish, East Riding Yorkshire, England

Moore Township, Lambton County, Ontario, Canada

but in the USA I usually have to find the Genweb site for that state and work
from there
or plod through Google..

It's repetitive entering the word township and county all the time but makes
things a lot
clearer (and more educational) for those unaware of that particular country's
geography.

Helen